Tuesday, October 11, 2022

4 of 10 - Lost in the Leaves

This is part of a new series of ten poems, where each one is going to be sparked by an exact quote from someone I know. The quote is something they wrote, said, shouted or whispered. It then moves beyond the quote and I make up my own story or add my own thoughts. Similarities to people real or imagined are real or imagined.


"I'm getting lost in the leaves today." 

I smirked, as if nature's paint brush was scrubbing my cheeks.

I walked in a blue jacket, in the sun and took in the red and gold

the yellow the brown

the mint.

"Oh!" There's a dead rat in the grass

his eye is open,

I don't know if he's breathing or not.

I know someone will have to pick him up 

with a shovel.

I walk on.

I can't shed a tear now.

I'm romanticizing

the colors of life.

Empathy is useless right now.

It's pragmatic, and comforting, more like a towel

to wrap around my head 

after a shower.

I'm not here to judge,

I am here to dance.

Lost in the leaves

smelling the wonder

of Fall.