Monday, October 3, 2022

1 of 10 - Looking Up

This is part of a new series of ten poems, where each one is going to be sparked by an exact quote from someone I know. The quote is something they wrote, said, shouted or whispered. It then moves beyond the quote and I make up my own story or add my own thoughts. Similarities to people real or imagined are real or imagined.


"It's just so fucking fake out there now. No souls on the row."

His transparent onion skin was clear for now.

His messages floated down the telephone wires like a letter wet in the grass, ink running

Covered from head to toe in tinsel with

dirty cowboy boots and a shiny gold record

moving like moths to light

toward Christmas lights and Miller Lite

in the bar downtown, the Bluebird where all the songwriters

go.

The spark and fire of busking is now just enough

to get from the couch to the stove in the kitchen

I am him, he is me, 

my Nashville connection

he has no idea

what that town has meant to me.

The difference is he actually went, he actually followed the muse there

all the way down Highway 51 and made it safe and sound

but now his guitar is quiet and his long hair is dirty

who knows

maybe he cut it off

I remember doing that

I remember cutting my losses

How strange it is to realize

that songwriting isn't buried treasure

it's lightning in a bottle.

You need to look up.

he said his mental health is better

now that he's not trying

to be

musician.

I know though

he will keep writing and his muse will tap him on the shoulder

even though getting older

is a scary, strange thing.

Maybe an old leather hat, can tip to him at the brim

for never having to say, "what if?"