Tuesday, October 4, 2022

2 of 10 - People Complain

This is part of a new series of ten poems, where each one is going to be sparked by an exact quote from someone I know. The quote is something they wrote, said, shouted or whispered. It then moves beyond the quote and I make up my own story or add my own thoughts. Similarities to people real or imagined are real or imagined.


"People will complain about anything," she said, and she's right.

The current issue is potholes, on the city streets and alleys

wreaking havoc on people getting to and from work

resulting in car repairs and expenses

unforeseen even though

they tried to swerve.


She talks about how she never wanted to be a Nordstrom woman

and how despite herself

she notices

mauve and grey in her wardrobe

and we laugh

and I agree there's stereotypes out there

and listen to the shrill reminder that there are

unheard voices, unmet needs:

it's time to start blowing the whistle.

We discuss artists and grants.


She encourages me to call my local Alderman or Alderwoman. 

I agree the community needs to speak out,

and it needs to at least be on their

list.


They can swerve all they want.

Tax dollars are their vehicle

and there's no bumps on the road 

for that.