Tuesday, July 11, 2023

Louder

Take 2

A lusty racket filled the air as the chest of the yellow bird arched up.

Her feathers ruffled and she nearly began to sing.

Then the woman at the counter looked down

and another day began.

There is danger in making up for lost time.

It's an odd feeling I have this morning.

I am not willing to make the same mistakes.

I step over to the cage and open up its small door.

The bird doesn't leave at first, until suddenly it does.

The yellow wings are now somewhere out over New Mexico

and the tiny bird is flying faster than a train.

The sunlit fields shine and the gleam of her feathers is hard to see

flipping back and forth so quickly that her flying is loud, not silent.

----------

Take 1

A lusty racket filled the air in the bird cage

Her chest lifted up as if to sing

the canary came out of her mouth

and flew

as if it were an ordinary day.

There is danger in making up for lost time

and there is an odd feeling I have this morning,

I am not willing to make the same mistakes

I am willing to move forward in new ways.

The yellow wings are now somewhere out over New Mexico

flying faster than a train

louder somehow, too.