Thursday, July 27, 2023

If I Was a Kite

In the quiet before the storm

I've been deranged buttons undone

dresser up against the wall

coins spilled from pockets

hurled into the night wind

walking home


In blasted noise I've sat in reverence

quiet and unassuming I am sure

to the naked eye

while I am cloaked in amazement

watching the musicians

move mountains and calm rivers

all with their hands

sitting in the harsh wooden chairs

like a tin soldier

watching jazz

at the club


In somewhat pained memories I've sat

running to the sounds of Sinnerman

butt soaking wet

from the grass

where I played guitar 

and small puppies

came to smell my feet


In caffeinated mornings I've begun

stomach grumbling

and lips sore from dreaming

speaking in tongues

of all the things

I cannot say

when I am awake


In an unguarded and unjaded trajectory

I have hurled myself even higher

catching the wind

one last time