Monday, June 17, 2024

Particular Rainbow

 I often walk under this particular overpass

of steel beams where the train rides above

and there's a mural and shadows and pigeons

so I know the stickers and the graffiti well


I had seen the black marker

that said FREE GAZA

and weeks later I saw 

where someone wrote it

FROM HAMAS


This particular morning

I saw a Streets and Sanitation worker

with a power wash water sprayer

spraying water at such a high force

that the graffiti and stickers were

going to be removed

the spray from the water gun

dispersed into the air

making a rainbow

in the sunlight

on a Monday morning


Removal by force

is ironic here


Isn't there a better way


like writing in--


FREE GAZA

FROM HAMAS

AND THEN FROM PAIN


--or something.


The rainbow told a story


I wanted to capture it in this poem

and not on my phone.

As I write I don't know

who the rainbow was for.