Thursday, June 13, 2024

Branding Racket / Drawing Breath

The manic stamp of my poetry will not go unnoticed.

It started with the ego and then it turned into empathy.

I saw the photo of the children crying, their eyes wild with confusion.

I repeat: their eyes wild with confusion.

Holding, each other and bloody small arms.

What was my problem again?

Do you really think I care if your art organization gets funding?

Do you think I care about your branding racket on NPR?

No, I do not.

I care about the moon, spinning in space.

Half dreaming and stupid as it hangs in the air.

I had a thought like a basketball, suspended in time.

The panthers that Delacroix drew still haunt my mind.


The river of the Old West is spinning too

through the canyon of my heart

in a late night text LOL was I really to be the angry bride

bent like a fender on an old Ford

crying and moaning with curlers in my hair

and a frying pan to boot

with leather pants and a sword

trying to take back your heart?

OH, hardly.


Again, the moon in me shifts.

Was the well-timed turd that Amber Heard laid

did she know that that moment would be her undoing.

Could she have possibly known.


I have a friend who sends me pictures

of Marvel Comics, people larger than life

but I am small

I am a mouse in the wall.

I want to be big, but I am small.


A tiny in utero child


Cloaked in sour milk and winging it

on stage

kissing the lion

and coming up to draw breath.