Wednesday, April 20, 2022

My Gums

What if I removed the thief in his sleep from the freedom he was keeping from the slaves and the scattered graves, dug waist deep.


What if I reminded the spine on the crawling snake to stand upright and rise from the basket when the flute soared through the humid sky, deep in India.


What if I presided over a jury, judge and all, with a staff and then felt myself falling 

like when pulled by the undertow

and was taken to the bottom of the sea


What if I did not fight, to be me?


The stolen glances of butterflies, scattered across the winds

where he blows like a cloud

waiting for me 

to play air guitar

and put my gums in the freezer

stop yapping with clients

and play.

Another guy, one with a dark shock of hair

said he disliked post modern poetry

and I think that's what I am writing

but I try to pepper in reality.

I feel condescension sticking to my gums.


Why not ascend, like the snake?

Simply called by a sound.