Tuesday, June 8, 2021

A Peach



(2) He almost stole a peach, sitting there, he nearly took it from the stack, escaping and not looking back. Yet something held him back. So he backed up, and went down the street, toward the sound of music, where people danced and gave him food to eat. He had stumbled upon a block party. Pounds of food, much heavier than a single piece of fruit.




(1)

You said you almost stole a peach?

Yeah I had it all figured out, my escape route.

Your escape route?

Yes I saw it sitting there.

So what happened?

I didn't take it.

You didn't take it?

No.

Then what?

I walked down the street.

You walked down the street.

I heard music.

---

I got there and it was this block party.

Tons of food and people, dancing. 

Dancing people?

Yes.

They fed you.

Yes, more than I could eat for days.

---

Good thing you didn't take that peach.

Yes.

You never know what life has in store for you.



Background: This is a story told to me by my friend S.M., embellished only slightly.