Tuesday, June 22, 2021

Dark Poetry




I thought I'd write dark poetry

to take all my darkness and put it into line

but I didn't want my actual self to be dark, just the words.

I thought I'd take my cynicism and lay it out bare

but I didn't want to actually be cynical

I didn't want to actually not care.

Yet here I am brooding like a fool.


I thought I'd tell a white lie

to take all my darkness and cover it with a sheet

but I didn't want it to be the undertaker of my word, just a shield.

I thought I'd take my honesty and stir it in a pot

but I didn't want to cook it completely,

I would not be able to eat it.

So here I sit and nibble on the truth.


I thought I'd get a blue mood

to take all my rhythms and groove them into the dawn

but I didn't want to get a hangover, just to hang out.

I thought I'd sit by the window with my hand in my chin

but not let myself go completely.

I thought I'd let my imagination run

but I wasn't going for Olympic gold.