Friday, August 4, 2023

Paint Like Raphael

 I watched a video on Youtube,

so I became a student of the old ways

and I realized I would like to spend my days in this way

my life may be in tatters

it all might be a hand basket to hell

but it would not matter 

if I could paint like...Raphael


I went to the basement of my mind

and set up a canvas, once then twice

and painted from portraits in a book

stealing ideas like a crook

they call it copying

and so I did, to paint like...Raphael


The results at first made me laugh

did I think it would be as easy as that?!

The portraits to me looked so strange

but had a charm I could not name

and some trace 

of a fool who tried to paint like...Raphael


So I kept at it with experiments

layers and mediums and turpentine

I am sure the fumes

affected my mind

I watched more videos to crack the code

all day in my abode

and I see now a glimmer of hope

although it's faint

my previous paintings

I thought were great, but ah,

--I've not yet begun to paint


I know it's a long journey

full of caverns and pirates

but I'm sure to grow

that is all that I can tell

as I try to paint....like Raphael.