Monday, August 7, 2023

If She Were a Pill

Take 3

Her legs hung over the ledge

of Heaven

she spilled wine and sugar into my mouth

like a riddle

It came out of my ears

a Robin's egg on my tongue

when I opened my mouth to sing.

Guided by the cherubs locked in her robes. 

-----------

Take 2

The sweet wine hung in my mouth like a riddle

as the song of the robin grazed my ears.

Above me, angels sat in clouds, cherubs tugging at their robes

as sugary crystals poured down from Heaven

onto my waiting legs.

-----------

Take 1

The riddle and the robin started out

with songs as sweet as wine and burgundy

the angels and the cherubs sat in clouds

tiny hands sprinkled blessings sugary

Yet darkness reared its ugly head in turn

to join the dragon spitting at the mouth

its body spinning like a rusty worm

to fill her head with syrup sticky doubt

He was unseen this dragon in the wings

the symphony rose like the chasing tide

the mermaid muse was just about to sing

but then she slowly turned her head and sighed

So who was she to act like such a pill

A fish on land with heaving seething gills

On this sandy beach, we have surely learned

You can't escape from hell and not get burnt