Wednesday, April 19, 2023

Permanent Parrot Smile

I was walking through the neighborhoods

with the flowering trees and the yards

the apartment buildings and the houses

nestled together on a Spring day

sunny and warm

grey sidewalks inviting

I passed the house with the balcony on the second story

and I smiled 

remembering how when I walked passed it last time

there were two persons up there

I saw one of them had a parrot on his shoulder

He smiled at me, and I smiled at him

I knew that it was cool and astonishing 

that he had a parrot on his shoulder

and he knew it was cool and astonishing 

he had a parrot on his shoulder

I kept walking

I kept that smile

I kept that moment


When I walk there now

I still smile

the smile stays with me

it almost makes my face stiff

like a statue

like my cheeks are made of stone

it's a small smile

that feels

permanent.