Monday, May 23, 2022

Tiny Weight

A bird was on the wire, so alone

that he stood out against the brick

and the wire was drooping

from his weight

and the designs on the brick behind him

looked like ancient ruins

and suddenly he dive bombed

to the electric box on the side of an adjacent building

and by that time a low rider was coming down the alley


The Mission Christo church stood on the corner

with its neon and its call to hug the world

the other church nearby

is made of redder brick

and has taller towers

but I am not sure how

Jesus competes

with the neon.


I used to say I liked to save souls and time travel

I thought I was funny, maybe clever

and someone once told me that

something is bad for my soul

as if it was bad chocolate or something

and I am not so sure anyone else

can inform me

about my soul


At any rate, looking out over the lake

with its clear blue

I think I see religion for what it is

I think I see the gypsies dancing

around a fire

I think I burned my hand


If there was a small bird

living in my heart

like a sparrow

it would explain

why it feels like the wires

are pushing down

my arteries

and sinews

stretched underneath 

his tiny weight