Wednesday, September 27, 2023

Poem for People with a Cold

Oh dreary dawn

stuck in my nostril like a burning rubber plant

Salted teeth

facts are not friends when fire is ash

Heart burning

Kleenex all over.

Late at night

seething moods

hurling adjectives at authority figures

to pass the time

Oh, sweet relief

Where are my vitamins

How do I kick myself properly

for not getting enough rest

for not drawing enough lines

for not being the boundary

between myself 

and madness

I'll walk in the rain

think about coffee

and watch my steps

I will see the people on the sidewalk

the guy in the nice shirt

the woman sitting in the street

like she's the monk who set himself on fire.

Who am I to ask questions?

I'll just pull my hood tighter around my head

I'll call a friend who delivers ginger powder

in a cup kind of like gunpowder

I will be a samurai

cleaning slowly methodically

I will let my friend call 

and talk me into spending $100 on a UHaul

to pick up 

free sewing machines.