Friday, December 23, 2022

The Moment of a Lifetime

I guess I had heard "Santa Baby" enough times, through the speakers of every store, in between my ears, and out of the mouths of divas in sequins all December, and I just had it.

Was nothing sacred, what about Silent Night?

Silent night, holy night, all is calm, all is bright.

I just see the shoe prints in the snow of holiday shoppers.

I hear the roar of weather reports.

On a snowy night, I was called off from work.

I stood there motionless, like a child in the hay.

Somehow, despite my best intentions to stay holy

I ended up in a jazz bar,

on my night off with a glass of wine

talking to someone about Brazil.

I came home, my stomach rolling

wondering how I got so off track

especially when I have 

gifts

to 

wrap.

It's up to us ourselves to keep something holy and sacred

whatever it is, it has nothing to do with religion

it's about those moments

when the band starts

and you realize they are playing Ray Charles

and your heart lights up

and you get to hear

a soloist you've never heard before

as the winter sprinkles outside

and blurs the lines

you're inside

with candles

and it's a moment.

It's the moment of a lifetime.