Tuesday, July 26, 2022

All the Same

Well the rivers were running downstream and the hill was bending toward the sunset

then the night was coming and crickets were chirping

the earth was going around the sun like a slingshot

and then the morning arrived

its eerie stillness hung like the edge of a feather.

Then the fog was lifting and the heat of the day was settling in

I was leaning on a leaf gleaming in the sun, 

being a water drop not quite set yet,

about to fall, for, due to gravity, suspended I could not remain

I was ready to tip topple over like a drop of rain

Due to the drought

the cracks in the dirt were wide open, like the mouths of those who blame.

Water I am, and fall I may. I am not rain.

Yet I know

although I'm made of dew-- to the scorched earth I am all the same.