Saturday, October 16, 2021

The Distance

The difference between the pursuit of the hobbyist

and the call of the professional is a wild distance

not unlike the length a crow flies,

or geese when they are going South for the Winter.

It is no small step, no curb jump.

It is no distance between the car door when it is opened or closed,

not a short distance like the edge of the coffee cup to your mouth

as you take a morning sip.

No, the distance is much greater.

It's the distance of the clouds as they spill across the sky across the lake

seeming to go on forever, stretching their bones

in their hands

fingers tingling toward the horizon.

If I don't make it, and you put a coin in my mouth

when I am buried low, so be it.

When the cold stone sits above my head

I will at least have known

that it was no short distance from here to there.