Thursday, September 9, 2021

Ode to Black Ink

I thought all of this black ink was going to dry clean

that the paper would remain white. I thought all of this white paint

would splatter perfectly on the black canvas and I would be

here, 

some angel,

some inverse Jackson Pollock standing on the edge of the

Empire State building waiting to swan dive into traffic

and rising like a phoenix with scrapes and bruises

but still fully functioning

and heart fully beating.

It started then with this black ink--mightier than the sword.

Here with this ink I lay into humanity, I lay into posterity

I write the dream into fruition I shape desperate boredom 

with my bare hands into a clay like man.

I write words which state my point of view, my mind, my brand.

I am almost delierious with the drunk power each tiny speck of black has,

becuase together they become greater than the sum of their parts

whether I like it or not they become a legacy

if to no one else but me

so I judge myself 

because the critics are out to lunch and if I come up short

I only have myself to blame as I look into the mirror

looking forward as much as I can despite the reflection

where the distance in the mirror

is just what's behind me.

Funny how that works.